Friday, June 14, 2013

The Pursuit of Happiness- Part III: James Earl Jones


I got to a point where I was so depressed and fed up that I decided THAT'S IT! THIS IS MY LAST YEAR TEACHING AND I BETTER FIGURE OUT WHAT MY NEXT MOVE IS BEFORE THE END OF THE SCHOOL YEAR. The truth is, I already knew what I wanted to do. I was just too scared to pursue it. I was afraid of failing and being rejected. I felt like I wasn't good enough to do what I really had a passion for. I felt like it wasn't in the cards for me. I kept lying to myself and trying to convince myself that what I was doing was fine. I was tired of feeling like I was on a conveyor belt heading in a direction I didn't want to go. I was disgusted with myself for settling for a life I didn't want. When you're miserable and desperate enough, you'll do whatever it takes to find a way out of the misery. I was constantly praying to God to guide me and tell me what to do and show me my purpose. I guess I was expecting it to be like that scene from the Lion King when Mufasa appeared  in the clouds with a big booming James Earl Jones voice giving Simba revelation of who he is. That didn't happen for me. It went more like this:
I came across CAP21 in advertisement on Facebook. I'd never heard of this school so I clicked the link and saw that it was a musical theatre conservatory where Lady Gaga and Anne Hathaway and some other stars went. Then I visited the school's website and even subscribed to them on YouTube. I was drawn to this school for a reason.... Remember, I don't believe in coincidences! I felt that God was leading me to apply for the Summer Professional Training Program. I was apprehensive because I thought I wouldn't be accepted. I decided "God, if this is Your will, then I'll be accepted. If not, You have something else up Your sleeve." The application process was time consuming for me because I was still teaching (and being a teacher is a 24 hour job!). At one point, I almost decided to not apply because I just felt overwhelmed with everything.



2 comments:

  1. Kendra. This is great. I'm so excited for you and proud of you! I'm starting grad school next month! part of my school will take me to NYC once a year... I expect to see you if we're in the city at the same time!!! (p.s. you know Dyllon goes to CAP21, right?)

    Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Leslie! CONGRATULATIONS!!! I know it's been your dream to go to grad school, I'm so excited for you... it would be awesome if we were able to meet in NY:)
    And yeah I know Dyllon goes to CAP21.... hopefully we'll be able to see each other :)

    ReplyDelete